Friday, November 12, 2010

Clarification.

The other day I was talking to someone. Out of no where, they asked a question about what we want in our next baby: gender, race, etc.

I get questions inquiring about specifics we want for our next baby all the time. And each question I just let roll of my back, and laugh to myself. I guess that people assume that since we have put in the time to get approved, completed the work, and are ready to have a baby, that we are basically reaching out for a baby to fall out of the sky, into our lap.

Not true.

I am not looking for any baby.
I am looking for my baby.

In the same way that I know that J, Hugh, and Walt were meant for my family, I know-- I KNOW -- there is another baby that belongs in my family. IN THAT EXACT SAME WAY.

And I want to find THAT baby.

This is best way I know how to explain it: When people decide to add a child to their family, they generally get pregnant and wait nine months. Like most people, those nine months are not always glamourous, and super fun: it is a. lot. of. work. But anyone would do it again, to get the miracle that is their child.

Obviously.

So, once you are in the hospital, and the baby is born, it's time to go home. YOU WANT TO TAK YOUR OWN BABY HOME. You don't want to take just any baby that is available at the hospital. But why not? You have put in the time. You are ready to be a parent. You want a baby! So why does it matter what baby you get? A baby is a baby. Does it really matter? Why not just take what you can get?

You would never dream of taking home another baby that was not yours.

And that my friends, is how I feel about adoption. We have not done all the work, simply to run home with the first kid we can get our hands on.

We want OUR baby.
And we will keep searching.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you family. I know your baby is on it's way to you. Good Luck with this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you finishing everything as Heavenly Father intended! To be honest, i never would have thought about adoption the way you have described had I not heard about it from you and read what you wrote, but Hear hear! Of course you want YOUR baby. and if we really do believe in the plan of salvation (which we do:) YOUR BABY is the one that you will find. And WE CAN'T WAIT!!! seriously im giddy thinking about baby pierce. come soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!! I can't wait to hear what happens. I think this is a wonderful choice and I can't wait to see the amazing miracles to come. I want to see you guys really really bad! Sorry we couldn't meet up when we were down there for our quick trip but I did meet your sis-in-law at the encinitas ward and she is lovely. Can we please meet up once we move there in a month? I would really like that. :)
    This adoption process is wonderful news and I hope the best for you guys. My mom is an adoption/foster mom guru and would love to talk to you if you ever want to talk, seriously. She has lots of stories/experiences in having the right impressions for the right kids to take for foster care/ adoption. But I'm sure everyone is giving you their two cents on the subject.
    I'm excited to keep reading on your progress!
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are so sincere, I love it. We read your posts about each other. So sweet (and we agree on everything you said..esp. about Chris being smokin' hot!...and you marrying up-that was from Geof.). Kidding! We love you guys and pray that the RIGHT baby will come...and hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete